Re: inline CSS (was: is anyone interested in XHTML?)

On Tue, 22 Feb 2000, Sue Sims wrote:

> My limited use of inline style is to override - for a single time
> use - one of the classes I commonly use in our basic external
> stylesheet. In an article I wrote to explain how to 'translate'
> HTML presentation elements to CSS, I wrote in part:
>
> <P CLASS="intro">This demonstrates <SPAN STYLE="text-decoration:
> blink;">blink</SPAN>.</P>
>
> Surely anyone could understand that I preferred not to include a CLASS
> in this case?

But wouldn't this be the same?

   #blink  { text-decoration: blink ; }
  <P CLASS="intro">This demonstrates <SPAN id="blink">blink</SPAN>.</P>

> The creation of the custom DTD for the one time use of <BLINK> and
> the <SPAN> for the one time use of text-decoration: blink are
> aberrations from the usual - one of those rare instances I cited
> as useful for inline style.

Okay then, what's an ID-selector for?  Would there be any reason to
use one?  (I hope this determination doesn't reduce to a question of
browser bugs...)

> I am employed by Opera Software but to the best of my knowledge, have
> not been assimilated by the Evil Empire. Well, maybe I <blink>ed.

Eh?  Isn't <blink> from Mountain View?

Arjun