RE: [Q] META "Refresh" deprecated ?

-----Original Message-----
From: Patrice Calve [mailto:patrice.calve@cactuscom.ca]
Sent: Tuesday, February 22, 2000 2:33 PM
To: www-html@w3c.org
Subject: RE: [Q] META "Refresh" deprecated ?

>The point is that cnn.com designers found that refreshing every 30 minutes
>makes that data always up to date. yeah, maby, but what happens if you are
>reading that page and it gets refreshed to another page or another content?
>You can't finish your paragraphe?  what the...?
>THIS IS a bad use of the refresh.

Exactly, this is why I talked about the framed and not framed page.
As an other example, I had the case of a computer retailer that had a 15 sec
refresh on his page to refresh the prices of the peripherals (such as ram
memory and so on). This is one crazy use of refresh ! the price is not
changing every 15 sec !! Because of that it was impossible to read their
catalogs because you couldn't go to the end before the refresh !

>The bad use of the refresh should not be the reason why the it's
deprecated.
>If this was true, pink backgrounds and  client side scripting would also be
>deprecated...  if you know what I mean.

Exactly, this is my point too and my 'history' example in my last post.
There are 2 ways to use a given technique. A good and a bad way.
Otherwise we can also deprecate the use of the internet because there are
hackers, pedophiles and so on, the use of knife to cut your meat because
people use them to kill other people,...if we go this way we can also
deprecate life because there are good and bad people.

>I agree that the user should have the choice of using that Refresh or not.

Yes.

--
  Stephane Bailliez, Paris - France