Re: URL better than FPI

Arjun Ray wrote:

> On Tue, 22 Feb 2000, David Carlisle wrote:
>
> > > Yes, but there is no need to put the system address in a *document
> > > instance* if the public identifier is there already.
> >
> > But you mean no need in an ideal world. Since the XML spec
> > mandates that you do this, you can't mean no need in XML.
>
> Yes, you're right.  I meant s/is/would be/.
>
> > I can easily imagine conforming XML parsers that ignore the public
> > identifier if it is there and just use the system identifier, and
> > will fail if the system identifier is an HTTP url and I'm using my
> > laptop on the train. This is what I was refering to that you asked
> > me to clarify
>
> Thanks, I got it now:)
>
> Using the system id has become a requirement under the XML spec, it
> seems, and that's bad.

Well, we have option to use file: URLs or simple filenames, which are
also considered URIs.

> > To give a real example, I don't think xp supports either
> > catalogues or caching of previously fetched files, so if I want to
> > apply xsl stylesheets to xhtml documents using xp/xt They had
> > better have a system id that points to a file on my local system.
> > Under the suggested change to the XHTML draft such a file would no
> > longer be conforming xhtml.
>
> This is actually a nasty problem, only because the XML spec demands
> not only a system id, but also that it be taken seriously.  This
> amounts to saying that XML - and XHTML - documents can only be used
> online.  I don't like this at all.

Only if we're forced to alter the XHTML spec from its current use of
relative URLs (ie., filenames) to absolute URLs, which as David said is
the threat that started this thread, even so far as to have TimBL jump
into the fray. Let's hope the W3C management can see their way clear to
leaving the XHTML spec as it is, which is the only reasonable way through
this problem.

Murray

Murray Altheim                            <mailto:altheim&#x40;eng.sun.com>
XML Technology Center
Sun Microsystems, Inc., MS MPK17-102, 1601 Willow Rd., Menlo Park, CA 94025

   the honey bee is sad and cross and wicked as a weasel
   and when she perches on you boss she leaves a little measle -- archy