Re: review process [was: identify...]

On Sun, 20 Feb 2000, I wrote:

> I haven't read the fine print to determine whether I'll be doing
> things in the right order,

Well, I just did, and I see from

   http://www.w3.org/TR/

that the Last Call period has lapsed for the WDs on Modularization,
and XHTML 1.1.  XHTML Basic is still open, but it is unlikely in the
extreme that it could be changed to any form manifestly out of synch
with the others in the family (including, it seems, XHTML 1.0)

That is, unless the review process is reopened, the three grievious
errors I would like to see fixed are now irreparable:

>   1.  That the requirement mandating a document type declaration
>       be removed.
>
>   2.  That the requirement for user-agents to "render the content"
>       of an unrecognized element be removed.
>
>   3.  That the requirements for user-agents now stated as "musts"
>       be amended to "shoulds".

The combination of these three serve to *entrench* the lack of forward
compatibility manifest in well-known HTML user-agents, as well as the
entirely unnecessary doctrinaire conception of conformance that might
just have made sense with a voodoo reading of SGML in the past but
certainly have no basis today with XML.

So, I will *not* post these three action items, because I realize
fully that the W3C sees nothing wrong in repeating a tragedy with a
farce.

Arjun