Re: inline CSS (was: is anyone interested in XHTML?)

Jelks Cabaniss wrote:

> Murray, are you saying XHTML 1.1 does *not* permit inline styling?  At
>
>         http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml-modularization/xhtml_modules.html#s_textmodule
>
> it shows that most of the elements contain the "COMMON" attributes.  COMMON is
> defined as Core + Events + i18n + Style.  It then adds:
>
>         Also note that the Style collection is only defined when
>         the Stylesheet Module is selected. Otherwise, the Style
>         collection is empty.
>
> So if you include the Stylesheet Module (which anyone wanting to use CSS would
> do), don't you have inline styling capability in XHTML 1.1.  What am I missing?

You're talking about two products. There is a collection of modules
described in the modularization draft that includes a Legacy module.
This module includes all the features included in HTML 4.0's three
DTDs, <font> et al. The Legacy module is only included to allow the
creation of a markup language for legacy usage.

XHTML 1.1 is a markup language built out of a set of those modules,
but does not include legacy features. No frames, no <font>, no style
attribute.

If you want to build a DTD using the Legacy module, you're welcome to
do so. The HTML WG position is that we are trying to be good web citizens,
and 1.1 therefore removes deprecated features and those we feel are
counter to i18n, WAI, and other interoperability goals. Those with a
vested interest in CSS are giving us a good battle. This reminds me of
a similar battle I was involved with in 1995 when the damned thing was
included in the first place.

Some people love this, some people hate this. These features are not good
for the web community, despite spin to the contrary. IMO.

We hope to further improve on interoperability features and make XHTML
fully an XML markup language that doesn't rely on hardwired HTML
behaviours as much as possible in XHTML 2.0. How successful we are
remains to be seen.

Murray

Murray Altheim                            <mailto:altheim&#x40;eng.sun.com>
XML Technology Center
Sun Microsystems, Inc., MS MPK17-102, 1601 Willow Rd., Menlo Park, CA 94025

   the honey bee is sad and cross and wicked as a weasel
   and when she perches on you boss she leaves a little measle -- archy