Re: FPI case sensitivity in draft-connolly-text-html-02

On Mon, 14 Feb 2000, Gerald Oskoboiny wrote:

> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-connolly-text-html-02.txt says:
> >
> >    Documents conformant to HTML 2.0, HTML 3.2 and HTML 4.0 will start
> >    with a DOCTYPE declaration "<!DOCTYPE HTML" near the beginning,
> >    before the "<html". These dialects are case insensitive. [...]
>
> But I believe FPIs are case sensitive. (They are as implemented
> in SP, anyway, unless I misconfigured something.)

Yes, but I believe the text in the draft deals with not the whole of
the doctype declaration but the first two parameters ('DOCTYPE' and
'HTML'), so the "magic" is correct.

>        <!doctype html public "-//w3c//dtd html 4.0 transitional//en">

Ah yes, a classic.  Netscape Composer, I believe.  If RTFM was a
Firing Offense, then this inspired piece of art must have earned the
creator an instant promotion.

> Can anyone confirm that public identifiers are case sensitive?

They are.  The only things that aren't necessarily "case sensitive" in
SGML are names.  Depending on the setting of the NAMECASE parameter in
the SGML declaration, some names may be subject to case folding - to
upper case.  (That's why the LCNMSTRT/UCNMSTRT and LCNMCHAR/UCNMCHAR
character classes have to be the same size - for the 1:1 mapping:))

Arjun