RE: Lists in tables

Not only is this possible, it's easy using CSS.  It is not so easy, however,
to find a browser to render it properly (IE5 works).  I pasted HTML below to
show how I have found it much better to use sized inline elements for most
of what used to go into tables.  The spec for tables has become so
complicated it is usually quicker, simpler, and more elegant to just use
lists or other appropriate elements, and reformat them with CSS for
consistantly sized horizontal layout.  If you would like to have fun, set
the height small then add overflow:auto.

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"
                      "http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/loose.dtd">
<head>
  <title>Two Column List Demo</title>
/*Note the use of em, since there is no character-width unit;*/
/*% works, but keep in mind the width of the container. (IE5 likes them to
total less than 100%)*/

.cola {width:8em;}
.colb {width:8em;padding-left:1em;}
.cola, .colb {vertical-align:top;}