Re: identify XHTML DTD by URI, not by FPI

On Thu, 10 Feb 2000, Dan Connolly wrote:

>      <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML Basic 1.0//EN"
>                            "xhtml-basic10.dtd">
>
> 	-- http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/WD-xhtml-basic-20000210/
>
> I don't believe it's in W3C's interests

That's becoming increasingly clear.

> (nor the interests of the Web Community)

This isn't clear at all.

> to issue XML public identifiers,

There is no such thing as a 'XML public identifier' (unless NIH also
includes comprehensive reinvention of terminology.)  I believe you're
refering to Formal Public Identifiers.

> and I don't know what way it would be "appropriate" to modify the
> system identifier.

To reflect the reality of a mapping being convenient for operational
purposes.  That's the fundamental distinction between PUBLIC and
SYSTEM.   $system_id = $catalog{$public_id}

> Note that the popular mechanism for looking up FPIs in a local
> catalog also works for URI system identifiers:
>
> "SYSTEM sysid1 sysid2
> [...]
> -- SP - Catalogs
> http://www.jclark.com/sp/catalog.htm
>
> I wonder if that's included in the SGML Open TR... crap..
> broken link: http://www.oasis-open.org/a401.htm

  http://www.oasis-open.org/cover/sotr9401-a2.html

:  The SYSTEM keyword indicates that an entity manager should use the
:  associated storage object identifier to locate the replacement
:  text for an entity whose external identifier's system identifier is
:  explicitly specified by the system identifier.

According to the TR, 'sysid2' is a "storage object identifier" and
thus oridinarily a FSI (Formal System identifier.)

Arjun