RE: input type="image" with no borders

> From:	Hugo Koji Kobayashi [SMTP:koji@ansp.br]
>
> I'd like to convert this peace of html to html 4.0. The problem is that I
> couldn't find a way to remove the border of my "button.gif" unless using
> "border=0", which is deprecated. Is there a way to do this?

	It's important to understand that HTML is not about
	how a browser displays a document, but about the
	structure of that document, e.g. what does a border
	mean on a speech synthesizer.

	The correct way of doing this with pure HTML 4 is to
	use style sheets.  I'm fairly sure that IE4+ support
	the necessary style sheet behaviour - I'm not so sure
	about Netscape.

> <form action="/cgi-bin/test.cgi" method="POST">
> Search:<BR>
> <input type="text" size=20 maxlength=50 name="info" value=""><BR>
> <input type="image" src="/images/button.gif" border=0>

	This is invalid HTML.  ALT is required by the syntax, and
	in this case is also required by the semantics, as it appears
	that the image is essential to the successful use of the form.

	Strictly speaking, what you are trying to achieve should
	probably be done with a button element, but that is not
	backward compatible and is broken on IE4 (name and value aren't
	sent) and unsupported on NS4, so I can't advise it.

	I'd consider this use of BR questionable.

> </form>
>
> Sorry if this is not the appropriate mailing list to send this question,
> but I couldn't find a better one among those at w3.org.

	I think the group is more about the specification of the
	language than about how to use de facto implemenatations.