Netscape 6 [WAS: Re: Abandon all hope, ye who enter here! (was: RE: margin elements)]

On Thu 14-Dec-2000 at 10:26:09 -0800, Charles F. Munat wrote:
> I haven't had any serious problems with Netscape 6 at all, so this is
> depressing news. Have others had similar experiences? Could Netscape be
> persuaded to fix the problems quickly before too many people download it?
> Just because things don't work perfectly doesn't mean we should have to wait
> for version 7 for a fix. 6.1 could do it.

I'm sure that 6.1 will be a lot better, I think 6 was based on a fork
of the Mozilla code that was made quite a long time ago.

In linux I don't find it any more stable that NN4.x (and that is
*poor*), so every day or so I have to type:

killall -9 mozilla-bin

But at least I don't have to re-boot my machine all the time as I did
when using win95 :-)

The feature I find myself using Mozilla/NN6 for most is the alternative
style sheet one, it means that if you mark up the different media style
sheets as alternative ones as well you can easily preview them, which is
great for authoring :-)

View -> Use Stylesheet -> select the one you want to view the page with.

I use something like this in the head:

<link type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" media="tv" href="tv.css" />
<link type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" media="print" href="print.css" />
<link type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" media="screen" href="screen.css" title="Screen" />
<link type="text/css" rel="alternate stylesheet" media="screen" href="print.css" title="Print" />
<link type="text/css" rel="alternate stylesheet" media="screen" href="tv.css" title="TV" />

Chris

--
Chris Croome <chris@webarchitects.co.uk>
work: http://www.webarchitects.co.uk/