RE: the 'target' attribute

> From:	Tapio Markula [SMTP:tapio1@gamma.nic.fi]
>
> I agree. The attribute 'target' is reasonable also, when opening a
> temporary window but keeping the main window background.

	[DJW:]  Popups are often misused.  Very few
	pages I've seen with them should have used them,
	in my view.  They are often an attempt to shift
	power from the user to the advertiser. (The problem
	is, of course, that that's what the advertisers want,
	in spite of advice from design experts that it is
	counter-productive, so removing target will force
	them towards scripting.)

> In my mind IFRAME has not the same main problems as FRAMESET. IFRAME is in
> fact an embedded object like using OBJECT element or APPLET. BUT this
> matter seems not te be clear to members of W3C. They are OVERstrict.

	[DJW:]  Surely IFRAME allows the contents to be
	changed, thus breaking bookmarking, one of the reasons
	for avoiding frames.