Re: Identify Frames early ?

On Mon, 21 Aug 2000, Walter Ian Kaye wrote:

> Tech Lover (Greg) wrote:
> >Looking at the HTTP header can I identify that the page has frames ?
>
> Nope, they're all type text/html so you have to read the page content.
> And now my curiosity's piqued. Whatcha makin'? :)

I don't know what Tech Lover was thinking about, but it's not hard for
me to imagine a reason for knowing in advance whether a page has frames.
Or, more exactly, whether an HTML document is a frameset document or
a normal document. This _could_ be handled using parameters to the
text/html media type if parameters were allowed there.

In fact, if frames had been introduced to HTML in a sensible way,
then it would have been done so that selection between a normal (noframes)
version and a frameset version of a page would be based on content
negotiation instead of <noframes> things.

--
Yucca, http://www.hut.fi/u/jkorpela/ or http://yucca.hut.fi/yucca.html