Re: XHTML Invalidity / WML2 / New XHTML 1.1 Attribute

On Tue, 15 Aug 2000 22:32:42 +0100 (BST), Stephanos Piperoglou
<stephanos@webreference.com> wrote:
[...]
>Interestingly enough:
>	      White space is not permitted between the markup
>	      declaration open delimiter("<!") and the comment open
>	      delimiter ("--"), but is permitted between the comment
>	      close delimiter ("--") and the markup declaration close
>	      delimiter (">").
>	      <URL:http://www.w3.org/TR/html40/intro/sgmltut.html#h-3.2.4>
>Is this the general SGML case or another HTML bug-avoidance feature?

It is a part of what comes from using SGML with its original default
"concrete syntax". HTML _followed_ on that from day one of its existence
as an SGML application (i.e.RFC1866) it did _not_ run away on its own.

>I remember Netscape 1.1 having terrible trouble with comments.
>I recall when Netscape 2.0 came out (or was it 3.0?) and the
>release notes noted with glee how it now parsed HTML's "weird
>comment syntax" or something to that effect.

Well, we can't change history, everyone involved at that time has to
live with his own on this, as is it comes valid for some original
"dollars in my eyes" guided public browser designers...

[...]

>> Formally CDO and CDC does not exist in SGML...
[...]
>>...specific purpose of course, workaround for
>>some old browsers.
>
>So, in conclusion, it *is* a hack :-)

Yes, but this one at least works in a majority of cases and is not
particularly harmful to anyone :)

--
Jan Roland Eriksson <jrexon@newsguy.com>
<URL:http://member.newsguy.com/%7Ejrexon/>