RE: XHTML Invalidity / WML2 / New XHTML 1.1 Attribute

> From:	Cavre [SMTP:cavre@mindspring.com]
>
> For example a HTML parser would ignore anything in between
	[DJW:]
	HTML parsers are explicitly required to do the exact
	opposite.  This makes sense if you consider HTML as
	a true markup language, as the underlying plain text
	should still make some sense.  The problem arises from
	ignoring the origins of HTML and trying to add information
	as text which should not be text.

	Consider, for example, the (deprecated) font element.  If the
	rules for unrecognized elements weren't to ignore the
	markup and render the contents, most recent web pages would
	be blank in modern browsers, whereas, in some cases, they
	are more readable because the markup as inappropriate.

	Incidentally, HTML is SGML!

> attempt to display these as standard text.  Depends on the parser.
> I will agree that backwards compatibility might be a strong reason
> why you don't want a validator/parser to simply ignore markup for
> another vocabulary.

[DJW:]