RE: error in xhtml 1.0 strict DTD?

	[DJW:]
	I don't think so.

> Buttons in forms can be set in 2 ways:
	[DJW:]
	Text only buttons....

> <input type="submit" name="action" value="send" />
> or
> <button type="submit" name="action" value="send" />
>
> Both give the same result. There i conclude that the input-types are only
> there for compibilty, so that part is transitional and not strict.

[DJW:]  The button form would be unsafe from a backward
compatibility point of view (it may be illegal).  An HTML
4 browser seeing it is unlikely to recognize the "/>" and
therefore leave the button unclosed (I thought the XHTML
rules required a separate close where HTML required
an explicit one).

Button is also broken in IE4 and, not in NS4 at all.  I cannot
think of any way of gracefully degrading a button element.

XHTML 1.0 *is* about backward compatibility.

In my view, button is unsafe except in controlled, intranet,
environments.