Re: FW: I-D ACTION:draft-connolly-text-html-00.txt

At 12:15p -0700 09/23/99, Larry Masinter wrote:
>Note that there's a newer version available as
>  ftp://ftp.parc.xerox.com/pub/masinter/draft-connolly-text-html-02.txt
>
>I'm making updates as I get comments.

>     File extension:
>
>       The file extensions 'htm' or 'html' are commonly used, but

Let's put 'html' first -- we don't want to glorify DOS. :)
(BTW, for Windows users: there is a MSKB article explaining how to override
the "helpful" filename.html-->filename.html.txt coercion in SaveAs dialogs.
See <http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q131/1/61.asp>.)

>       other extensions denoting file formats for preprocessing are
>       also common.
>
>     Macintosh File Type code: HTML

I thought all text/* media types were supposed to be given type "TEXT"?

99.9% of all HTML documents on Mac users' hard drives have the file
type "TEXT". What's the point of changing it now? I think this must
have been a mistake on someone's part. There are other ways to indicate
subtype (file extension [.html], creator code [MOSS,MSIE,...]).

-Walter
 file format phreak, resedit geek, likes to peek