Re: FW: I-D ACTION:draft-connolly-text-html-00.txt

On Thu, 23 Sep 1999, Larry Masinter wrote:

> Note that there's a newer version available as
>   ftp://ftp.parc.xerox.com/pub/masinter/draft-connolly-text-html-02.txt

> This document summarizes the history of HTML development, and
> defines the 'text/html' MIME type by pointing to the relevant W3C
> recommendations;

Does this mean that this document will be a "pointer" only, with the
definitive specifications detailed elsewhere?

> it is intended to obsolete the previous IETF
> documents defining HTML, including RFC 1866, RFC 1867, RFC 1980,
> RFC 1942 and RFC 2070.
> This document was prepared at the request of the W3C HTML working
> group.

RFC 1866 and RFC 2070 are Standards Track documents; it's my understanding
that action on such documents starts with the IETF, not from the outside
(Section 6.1.1 of RFC 2026)  While the W3C, as an industry consortium, is
free to to consider RFC 1866 "obsoleted" by its own later recommendations,
that doesn't make it so for the IETF or the Internet.

Perhaps this I-D should be aimed at an AS or BCP instead?

Actually, I don't understand why anyone needs this document at all.

Arjun