Re: Future version of HTML!?

On Sat, Oct 23, 1999 at 11:04:51AM -0400, Russell Steven Shawn O'Connor wrote:
> The W3C has neither compromised on a standard that reflects what people
> use, nor have they stuck to an ideal markup language.  They are left in
> some wishy-washy middle ground that none are satisfied with.  The W3C seem
> to be bent on redesigning existing international standards for no good
> reason.
>
> XML     <-> SGML
> DOM     <-> groves
> CSS/XSL <-> DSSSL

I would also want to hear some real reasons why XML had come to existence;
I still can't understand the point of XML except as a way to force people
to write good markup. (I don't think that will work out.)

And CSS seems to me only as a way to avoid LISP, which is rather silly as
LISP seems to be becoming more mainstream these days.

> But the W3C has possibly developed some good standards.  HTTP 1.1 is
> pretty good as far as I understand, although I don't know much about the
> protocol.  PNG is a great standard, but also stuffers from a lack of
> implementation from the consortium's members.

IIRC PNG wasn't developed by the W3C. Or someone please correct me.

--
Ambrose Li                   <ai337@freenet.toronto.on.ca>
                              http://www.interlog.com/~acli/