Re: Abbrevations and Acronyms

On Thu, 7 Oct 1999, marina wrote:

> This is way off-topic, but I find the subject *very* intriguing...
> The word ACRONYM isn't either in the OED or in the Italian dictionary I
> normally use.

@merrill[102]% oed acronym
acronym ('aekr&schwa.nIm). orig. U.S. [f. ACR(O- + -onym after HOMONYM.] A
word formed from the initial letters of other words.  Hence as v. trans.,
to convert into an acronym (chiefly pass. and as pa. pple.).  Also
acro'nymic a.;  acro'nymically adv.; 'acronyming vbl. sb.; 'acronymize v.
trans.

@merrill[103]% webster acronym
ac-ro-nym \'ak-re-,nim\ n
[acr- + -onym (as in homonym)]
(1943)
:a word (as radar or snafu) formed from the initial letter or letters
     of each of the successive parts or major parts of a compound
     term
-- ac-ro-nym-ic \,ak-re-'nim-ik\ adj
-- ac-ro-nym-i-cal-ly \-i-k(e-)le^-\ adv

       <http://www.undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca/~roconnor/>
``And truth irreversibly destroys the meaning of its own message''
-- Anindita Dutta, ``The Paradox of Truth, the Truth of Entropy''