Re: Abbrevations and Acronyms

Neil Gulati wrote:

> I understand:
>
> Abbreviation:
> A shortening of an existing dictionary word.
> e.g. Doctor->Dr. Telephone-> 'phone.
>
> Acronym:
> A new word made up of the initial letters of other words.
> This is usually a naming convention. An acronym is a noun.
> e.g. Search for Extra-Terrestial Intelligence->SETI.

The problem is that in the examples given in the HTML4 spec
<http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/struct/text.html#h-9.2.1>, <abbr> is
used to mark up acronyms like WWW, HTTP, URI, and SCNF which are not
pronounced as though they were words, while <acronym> is reserved for
things like NATO and WAC.  I'm not sure if making the distinction in
this way helps or hinders speech engines; some acronyms are
pronounced, others are spelled out, and a few are replaced by their
expansions.  I would have thought the third option was the default for
abbreviations...
					John T. Whelan
					whelan@iname.com
					http://www.slack.net/~whelan/