Re: XHTML

On Sun, Nov 28, 1999 at 09:06:55AM -0800, Daniel Hiester wrote:
> In this possible future, I think that "well-formed" will be important,
> because these devices won't even be using the same operating system, much
> less the same web browser!All UA's need to be able ot read well-formed
> documents, and well-formed documents need to be written... isn't that what
> XML / XHTML is all about?

This is also what HTML was all about; the un-wellformedness of the
current mess has nothing to do with HTML per se, only the vendors'
reluctance to enforce/generate well-formed HTML.

Just go to any engineering society or standards association and see
what kind of HTML they use (junk basically) and you can extrapolate
what will happen. If even these people don't care, no one will care.
I don't expect things to change with XML/XHTML. Changing standards
isn't a solution; the correct solution is education.

--
Ambrose Li                   <ai337@freenet.toronto.on.ca>
                              http://www.interlog.com/~acli/