Re: XHTML

Bert Bos wrote:

> Somebody pointed out this thread to me, because apparently there were
> some incorrect statements made about the status of XSL and CSS in W3C
> (and because my name was mentioned...)
>
> As the coordinator for Style in W3C, I can assure you that CSS *does*
> apply to XML, and that all the working groups involved, including the
> DOM, XSL and CSS working groups, are working under that assumption. (See
> e.g., http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS3-selectors,
> http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-namespace and, of course,
> http://www.w3.org/Style/Activity) Indeed, discussing it would be
> pointless, as we have implementations to prove it. (See earlier in this
> thread.)

I have no question your intention is to continue to write specifications
and to target them for greatest relevance. And you obviously have the
ability to make any statements within the W3C that you like, and post
them on W3C web pages.

> The document http://www.w3.org/Style/CSS-vs-XSL has a diagram that shows
> the various ways in which CSS, XSLT and XSL-FOs work together.

Yes, and a number of people I know where rather angry about:

  "Use CSS when you can, XSL when you must."

I would imagine many of the members of the XSL WG, for example. It
shows great insensitivity on the eve of XPath and XSLT reaching
Recommendation status to have the "coordinator for Style in W3C"
preach that you should only use XSL "if you must." Pretty ballsy.

> I hope this clears things up.

It expresses your opinion as "coordinator for Style in W3C", which
isn't necessarily shared by all of the W3C membership. We'll see how
the membership and the marketplace accepts any post-1.0 version of CSS,
and whether or not it will ever be widely implemented in XML applications.
As I stated in a previous message, I am concentrating on XSL.

Murray

Murray Altheim                                   <mailto:altheim@sonic.net>
Member of Technical Staff, Tools Development & Support
Sun Microsystems, Inc. MS MPK17-102
1601 Willow Rd., Menlo Park, California 94025  <mailto:altheim@eng.sun.com>

   the honey bee is sad and cross and wicked as a weasel
   and when she perches on you boss she leaves a little measle -- archy