RE: The "title" attribute of "style" elements

 On Thu, 4 Nov 1999, Chris Wilson wrote:
>>> ...there are a VERY large number of documents that include more
>>> than one STYLE element.
>> Yes, but how many of them have TITLE attributes? That's the only
>> question relevant to analyzing Ian's proposal. I would guess almost
>> none, since currently the TITLE attribute doesn't "do" anything.
> What a waste. You have a variety of choices for how to implement
> this functionality in a way that does not break backward
> compatibility - in fact, I gave you a way to do so that I chose two
> years ago explicitly so that it would not cause this problem - [...]

Hang on -- the suggestion you gave does _not_ have this functionality.

I am suggesting emulating the behaviour of the _title_ attribute. I am
NOT looking for a way to hook things into scripting -- I am looking
for a way to introduce multiple alternate, named stylesheets.

For example, my proposal allows you to supplement different alternate
stylesheets with embedded stylesheet styles:

   <!-- first, link in to four different alternate stylesheets: -->
   <link type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" href="style1.css" title="a">
   <link type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" href="style2.css" title="b">
   <link type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" href="style3.css" title="c">
   <link type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" href="style4.css" title="d">

   <!-- next, add special style relevant only to this page for each of
   the alternate stylesheets -->

   <!-- next, add an alternative style specific to this page -->

How does your proposal even come _close_ to supporting this?

--
Ian Hickson
"So far, people have shown a reasonable amount of sense in evaluating