Re: Navigation Tag, extend link

On 1999-12-08, you wrote:

> > It is quite popular and very useful to show the hierarchy of the site on
> > the top of the pages. Something like this:
> >
> > corporation > company > department > project > product
> >
> > with links to appropiate places. It would be nice to represent this
> > hierarchy with link elements instead.
>
> Why?  HTML is at least supposed to be a *semantic* language - introducing
>new tags
> just to get around the unwillingness of some people to provide proper
>navigation is a
> really *bad* idea.

And I want to make it more *semantic*. My idea is to define some more
relations to an already existing tag and relation system, to make it easier
for people to provide pure *semantic* information. I am not proposing
anything that will be spinning and singing or displayed in green. It is up
to the user and UA to decide.

> Everything you want to do with this "extension" can be done perfectly
>well with the
> existing A element - just use that and be done with it.

How do you mean? And I don't mean syntactically?

> Yeah - I think the very fact that we're discussing "let's make a new tag
>for navigation"
> speaks for itself.  Ridiculous.

I'm talking about using an existing tag more efficient instead of
introducing new ones. Use something like rel="parent/n", (n=1,2,3,...) and
you just declare some more values along with "prev" and "next" etc. These
are already possible to use today, but it's better to declare them in the
specs. What is your solution to this semantic problem?

--
Christian Ottosson
http://www.f.kth.se/~f95-cot/