Re: security problem in emailing HTML

On Mon, 6 Dec 1999, Walter Ian Kaye wrote:

> I've been thinking about writing a Perl filter to strip out HTML from
> email. Was gonna just delete from <html> to </html>, but then saw that
> Fingerhut embeds the plain text version into an HTML comment. I wonder
> if there are any other mutations...

Procmail is your friend:)

I used to bounce email with 'text/html' as the Content-type, but that too
became a nuisance.  Now I just file such stuff directly to /dev/null.
(Logic: if someone is clueless enough to send email in HTML, I have no
need to waste my time reading it.)

However, most of the so-called HTML email seems to be of the multipart/
alternative type.  Configuring a MIME-aware reader to show me the
text/plain version suffices (I delete the remainder.)

The *problem* is the rash of "new" software that seems all too eager to
ram the HTML part down your throat.  The solution is to get competent
software.

(I'm about 90% convinced that I should procmail 'X-Mailer: Microsoft
Outlook Express' to /dev/null too.)

Arjun