Re: XHTML for cellular telephones

rhuso@tegic.com wrote:

> Where do I look for standards about cellular telephone interface to the Web?
> Sounds like the XHTML will have information for targeting limited
> capabilities devices, and I would expect cellular phones would fall into
> this category.  Please advise.

Cellular phones are indeed among target devices of XHTML.  "5.1. Framework
for Content Negotiation" [1] in "Modularization of XHTML" briefly
explains the framework how to cope with various environments, including
limited capabilities devices. Composite Capability/Preference Profiles
(CC/PP) [2], a W3C Note, is a way to describe the capabilities and
preferences on a user side.  There is an another W3C Note describing
the CC/PP exchange protocol based on the HTTP Extension Framework [3].

W3C is working with the WAP Forum [4] for converging Wireless Markup
Language (WML) and XHTML [5,6].  Hopefully, some modules and profiles
suitable for mobile devices, such as cellular phones, will be provided.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml-modularization/profiles.html#sec_5.1.
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/NOTE-CCPP
[3] http://www.w3.org/TR/NOTE-CCPPexchange
[4] http://www.wapforum.org/