Re: Just a passing curiousity

At 8:10a -0800 04/06/99, Ben Badgley wrote:
>However I find it difficult
>to believe that the internet appears to be going the route of
>television.

98% of web sites are crap.
However, you are still in full control of your own. It may not be possible
to "heal" the web, but that doesn't mean you can't set a good example by
yourself. You don't have to be assimilated. <g>

>Should we then too design to sell? I know that yes I need to sell my
>work so that I can have a job as a freelance webmaster. I will not argue
>this, however my point is this must we sell everyone else's including
>competitors?

There are all sorts of business models. You can use an existing one or
create your own business model from scratch.

>I'm finding that quality web design does not count it's how
>much you can sell.

There are still plenty of sites that are just for fun, or just for
education -- they just don't get as much press.

>And this list is no diffrent for we all sell
>ourselves short with ignornat posts regarding lower case or upper case.
>HTML does not care, Unix prefers lower case filenames. Big deal I
>thought we would have learned this from day one.

The problem about that was what HUMAN EYES want. The consensus was to use
a scriptable editor that can find element/attribute names and automatically
change their case at the start/end of an editing session.

>It goes back to
>quality. But I may be wrong in my assumumptions yet please do some
>surfing a while especially personal home pages. Rember when they were
>just that and not a Burma shave ad?

You don't have to use banner ads. You could underwrite your site from
pencil-selling revenue if you wanted, or even just consider it a gift
to the world. It's completely up to you.

-Walter
 who set his IE security zone prefs so JavaScript is disabled for
 geocities.com and tripod.com (that eliminates their pop-up ads)