RE: target attribute.

-----Original Message-----
From: www-html-request@w3.org [mailto:www-html-request@w3.org]On Behalf
Of Garth Wallace
Sent: Tuesday, May 05, 1998 4:23 PM
To: roconnor@uwaterloo.ca; lehors@w3.org
Cc: www-html@w3.org
Subject: Re: target attribute.

>Excuse me? CSS positioning does not have the same functionality as
>frames. How on earth would you create a replacement for resizeable
>frames with off-site content using CSS?

Off-site content (not documents, only pieces) is rather easy.  A smarter
server :)  There are various methods.  Simply build the document from
several resources.  Offsite or onsite, database or filesystem; these are of
no consequence with the proper tools.  (I know, it may use slightly more
bandwidth.  And, you would need a web host that provides/allows this.
However, nothing is without flaw.  If you really needed this capability then
it would be easy to find at little to no cost.)  Documents likely should be
linked not framed.

HTML should be abstracted from the underlying methods and madness.  HTML is
the end result, not necessarily the means to get to there.  I don't think it
is HTML's place to do everything.  I still say that functionality should be
balanced across the various layers of protocols and specifications.  In a
broader sense, a document should be one idea returned in one continuous
stream.  This is looking from a accessibility perspective, as well.  Related
ideas should be links from that document.  Frames should be disowned and
forgotten.

In a sense, you ask one server one question, and, that server returns one
answer from whatever sources it knows to get it.  Frames return you a jumble
of locations to get an answer, but, no answer itself.  It is a simplistic
view, however, it is also a significant one.  Some people don't mind frames.
Some people can't deal with frames.  Others won't deal with frames.  Those
are three groups, two of which are excluded from using that document.  HTML
is a semantic markup language.  Frames are not semantic in any sense of the
word.

I agree with Stephanos, as well.  He covered most of my feelings toward
frames quite well.  The current frames implementation is simply not well
designed.

,David Norris

Illusionary Web - http://illusionary.dyn.ml.org/ <-- 02:00 - 10:00 GMT
Video/Audio Phone - callto:illusionary.dyn.ml.org
Page via mail - 412039@pager.mirabilis.com
ICQ Universal Internet Number - 412039
E-Mail - kg9ae@geocities.com