Re: Suggestions for future HTML standard

Jed Hunsaker wrote:

> It would be very useful to be able to embed HTML just like any WAV or
> MIDI file. I know it's already available for JavaScript as a js file
> but I still wonder why not HTML? If I use a footer on every HTML page
> and I want to edit it, I have to go to each HTML page and edit it one
> by one.

The current answer to this problem is to use server-side includes or a
server-side language.   Apache, IIS, Netscape, and most any other server
is capable of this.  For some reason this idea has classically been
considered a server issue, and not a HTML issue.  I agree that
standardizing this would make sense.  The problem is that soon after
people start using includes they realize they require the ability to
include different files depending on certain conditions.  Server-side
languages like PERL, PHP, ASP, CF are all capable of conditionally
including files, each using a different syntax.  Really the requirement
is for a standard cross-platform server-side language.

In the meantime, I suggest you check out the wonderful free PHP
server-side language as it is full of features, it has great support
from its established user community, and it works well on both UNIX and
NT platforms.  (http://www.php.net)

Good Luck,

--M.