Re: SSI usefulness (was RE: OBJECT, inheritance, and rendering)

On 7 Aug 98,, Mike Meyer wrote:

> No, that's not what I'm saying. After you eliminate the fluff (like
> random quotes) and bad ideas (like pages that change the HTML based on the
> client), you're left with either real dynamic data - for which SSI
> generally isn't sufficient - or things that tend to be built from parts,
> and then served to many people with the same content. Given that disk is
> cheap, upgrading disk is cheaper than upgrading CPU, and the cache
> problems mentioned above, the latter is *much* better done by building the
> page once and updating it when one or more parts of the data change.

Let's say you've got a few hundred pages on your site, and would like to
use a common header and footer for the document? Now let's say after a
while you decide to change the content of the header and footer, to give the
site a new look... SSIs are wonderful for this purpose.

Rob