W3J markup guidelines [was: HTML4.0 draft: comments re: inclusion of frames]

Jordan Reiter wrote:
> All this, mind you, in a page linking off of the page of the official W3C
> journal.  And people wonder why elements are referred to as "tags" and
> people still use "B" or "I" instead of "STRONG" and "EM"!

Mr. Reiter has misattributed the content below. It occurs
on a page at:

[1]	http://www.ora.com/info/wj/w3style/copyedit.html

i.e. an O'Reilly page. The page is not signed, but a page
on the path between http://www.w3.org/Consortium/ and that
page says:

=========
http://www.w3.org/Journal/call_papers.html

If you would like to submit a technical paper to the World Wide Web
Journal, please contact Rohit Khare.

For detailed instructions on how to
submit figures and screen shots, please contact Chris Reilly.
=========

I have copied Rohit and Chris so that the folks responsible
for the page can see the comments. But I believe they are
concentrating their efforts on a new site for W3J:

	http://www.w3j.com/

Hmm... the new site links to [1] as well.

> [...]
> !>       Italic is used for:
> !>              Filenames and directory names (/etc/hosts)
> !>              Internet names and addresses (ora.com)
> !>              New key terms and concepts when they are
> !>              introduced
> !>
> !>       Use the <I> tag to produce italics.
> Uh oh.  The <I> tag?  Now <EM>that's</EM> a no-no!
> !>       Courier (Constant width) is used to show computer
> !>       output and fragments of source code.
> "Courier" -- this is pretty Platform specific, I'd say.  Also, wouldn't
> <KBD> and <SAMP> be *much* more appropriate?
> !>       Use the <tt> tag to produce constant width text.
> Don't they mean <PRE>?  At least, they should if they want to have it
> constant w/ regards to the next line.
> !>       Courier bold is used within examples when text is
> !>       typed literally by the user (% shar -f /tmp/shar.tmp
> !>       *).
> !>
> !>       Create courier bold with nested font tags, like this:
>
> Nested *font* TAGS?  Oh my goodness!

> !>
> !>       Note: you may not see proper courier bold on your
> !>       display because browsers are not required to support
> !>       nested font changes. Our filter will understand.
> !>
> !>       Courier italic is used within examples when the
> !>       reader needs to substitute a variable with an actual value (%
> !>       telnet hostname).
> !>
> !>       Create courier italic with nested font tags, like this:
> !>
> !>
> !>       As with courier bold, your browser may not display this
> !>       nesting as constant italic.
> [snip]
>
> !>References, Bibliographies, and Footnotes
> !>
> !>       For in-text references, use the form [1] in the text, with
> !>       the corresponding source listed in the Reference section
> !>       like this:
> !>
> !>       1. Name of author, Name of article, Name of
> !>       publication, Date, Pages.
> (in the HTML code itself, since you can't see it in plain text):

> Date, Pages.
>
> First of all, the names of articles, according to almost all bibliographic
> standards, including MLA's [1], are in quotes, NOT italicized.  Secondly,
> shouldn't <CITE> be used instead of <i> for "Name of publication"?
>
> All this, mind you, in a page linking off of the page of the official W3C
> journal.  And people wonder why elements are referred to as "tags" and
> people still use "B" or "I" instead of "STRONG" and "EM"!

> [                    Jordan Reiter                     ]
> [            mailto:jreiter@mail.slc.edu               ]
> [ "You can't just say, 'I don't want to get involved.' ]
> [  The universe got you involved."  --Hal Lipset, P.I. ]

Dan
http://www.w3.org/People/Connolly/