Re: HTML4.0 draft: Sound objects

On Wed, 10 Sep 1997, Marc A. Duncan wrote:

> Now I find this to be a very good idea.  I see usefulness and a desire by
> some to have <BGSOUND> or sounds included as <OBJECT> (whichever), but I
> can understand that some may not want them for whatever reason.  So, the
> most obvious resolution would be for browsers to give the user the ability
> to exclude the downloading of background sounds, just like they do for
> images.  This is a very sensible solution.

Correct me if I am wrong, but wouldn't the better way (especially with
OBJECTs) be to be able to disable any mime-type loading. The images and
sounds internal handlers should be treated in the same way as plugin
handlers and for either of them, user should be able to say, handle or not
handle. This way, I could disable techexplorer, BGSound and GIF/JPEG(but
not PNG) images on the slow modem day and to have them in full glory on
the next. There is a question of how easy it is to do when you have >50
handlers and you only care about changing images and sounds on a daily
bases, but that is a different issue.

I know it may not be very realistic for current bloat^H^H^H^H^Hbrowsers
but I am writing YAWB, and that is the way I was thinking about handling
it. (In fact, in my model the main window is just huge OBJECT, so I could
potentially disable text/html handler too..... :-} )

Regards,
   Alex.