Re: a "clear: smart" feature in CSS?

On Fri, 5 Sep 1997 Walter Ian Kaye <walter@natural-innovations.com>
  wrote:

>  > A better solution would be a "clear: smart-right" (or smart-left
>  > etc.) attribute in CSS.  If there's plenty of room for text or
>  > images on the right hand side, it won't clear. If there's not enough
>  > room (text cannot be rendered with more than two words per line: I
>  > can't think of a good general formula for this at the moment) that
>  > it would clear. A browser or renderer that doesn't have the
>  > 'smart's would clear for all instances rather than risk ugly
>  > output.
>
> Sounds good to me. I think it should allow specifying minimum em's or
> something, though I don't know offhand what a good syntax would be.
> Maybe IMG.smart { side-min: 10em } ?

A better idea.  Or perhaps add it to 'clear', for CSS that doesn't yet
recognize it:

  IMG.smart { float: left; clear: right 10em; }

or something else called 'clear-{left|right|top|bottom}-margin' ...

Rob

---
Robert Rothenburg Walking-Owl (wlkngowl@unix.asb.com)
(Se habla PGP.) http://www.wusb.org/mutant/