Re: why TITLE, not TITLE?

On Mon, 12 May 1997, John Udall wrote:

> 	Just thinking out loud here. Wouldn't it be cool if you had a browser that
> would download the appropriate DTD automatically from a public location and
> download the accompanying code necessary to parse the markup associated
> with that DTD, and then dynamically link in that new code, so that you
> could view the document.  This sort of scenario would require a lot more
> bandwidth than is currently available to most users today, but I could
> imagine it happening somewhere down the road. The base technolgies are
> there. It's just a matter of putting the pieces together and waiting for
> the core infrastructure to be in place. (which is of course the hard part)
> :-(  Oh well, maybe I'll see it in my lifetime. :-)

Wouldn't it be great if you could get resources that define their type
(MIME), where you could download cross-platform software (Java or other
bytecode languages) on-the-fly to view them and edit them while linking
between them in a global hyperlink language (HyTime). Then you wouldn't
worry about how popular your OS is, what applications you use, the type of
hardware you run them on, or which format to compromise for because your
favourite one is unpopular. You use the tools that YOU prefer, and of course
the best tools will be available since developers will have to compete in
actual quality, not promotion of their products.

As you can see, we have the technology to do this TODAY. Does anyone
implement it? Oh no, we have to have AutoCorrect(tm) in our bug-beridden
word processors that may run on unstable and processor-hungry OSs, but we
don't care because it's the first OS to have a unified mail-handling API and
comes equipped with everything you need to get on to the Internet (like Unix
hasn't been around for two decades), and it's obviously the best OS around
because it's soooo much better than... its previous version! Duh!

A lot of good friends of mine work in Marketing. But some times I think
they're responsible for everything that's bad in the computing industry.

That's why we're on this list, I think. Technologies like HTML and the Web
have opened the eyes of a lot of people. We need to keep them open, in the
REAL sense of the word, not the "it's my idea but you can implement it if
you like, especially since I've eliminated the superior competition" sense.

Sorry, I ramble.

--
Stephanos "Pippis" Piperoglou - http://users.hol.gr/~spip/index.html
I've never finished anything I began, but this time I'm