Re: why TITLE, not TITLE?

At 03:41 PM 5/9/97 -0400, you wrote:
>I would encourage you to modify the DTD rather than the parser. Once
>you've hardcoded that error recovery crap there is no easy way to go
>back. Plus your users might be interested in the ability to test their
>pages out against multiple DTDs: "Does this conform to HTML 2.0? 3.2?
>Extended HTML?"

	But then you have to have modified versions of all of those DTDs
available, so that people can check against them.  True, the error recovery
stuff will be pretty pervasive throughout the parser, but you should be
able to turn it on/off, to have a strict interpretation (for validation) or
a lenient interpretation for general browsing.  Also, it should be able to
buy a lot of backwards compatability with older DTDs using inheritance in
your code, of course, that depends on what the implementation language is.
Ain't software development fun. :-)

-John

> Paul Prescod

Standard Disclamer -- The opinions expessed here are my own. They do not
represent official advice or opinions of Cornell Cooperative Extension
or Cornell University.

John Udall,
      Programmer/Systems Administrator            40 Warren Hall
Extension Electronic Technologies Group           Cornell University
Cornell Cooperative Extension                     Ithaca, NY 14853
email: jsu1@cornell.edu                           Phone: (607) 255-8127