Re: Cougar DTD - I18N

On Sun, 4 May 1997, Arnoud Galactus Engelfriet wrote:

>> The difference is that the align attribute is widely supported by
>> deployed browsers.
>
> Why yes, but isn't "Cougar" supposed to be a draft with features
> that the W3C encourages browser vendors to implement, rather than
> a descriptive list of things that browsers support in May 1997?

W3C is its members in this regard. The spec comes from discussions
between our members in the HTML working group. If there isn't a
general consensus that a given feature will be implemented then
it can't be part of the spec.

> If stylesheets are indeed being pushed by the W3C as the next
> big thing, then shouldn't these elements be marked deprecated
> to discourage their use?

We do intend to provide a strict version of the Cougar DTD with all
the presentation clutter removed. A further possibility is to make
this an XML application, as a stepping stone to allowing people to
extend HTML on a per document basis, using the style sheet to bind
to the semantics and presentation.

Dave Raggett - <dsr@w3.org> tel +1 617 258 5741 fax +1 617 258 5999
World Wide Web Consortium 545 Technology Square, Cambridge MA 02139