Re: Case sensitive attribute *names* in Cougar?

On Wed, 18 Jun 1997, Arnoud Galactus Engelfriet wrote:

> Recently I received a message from someone who claimed that the
> "Cougar" HTML proposal will define the "intrinsic event" attributes
> (onmouseover, onsubmit, etc) as being *case sensitive*.
>
> As far as I can tell, this goes entirely against the SGML rules
> that element and attribute names are case insensitive, so I would
> like to know if there is any truth to this.

CDATA attributes leave the details to the specification.
There is no proposal for the onXYZ attributes to be
defined as case sensitive as far as I am aware as an
editor of the Cougar spec. You may have heard about
an investigation on case sensitivity and I18N. When you
go beyond US ASCII, case insensitive matches get non-
trival. Unicode 2.0 provides one definition, which
Java and XML (I believe) use. I had hoped to also use
it for Cougar. The problem doesn't arise for onXYZ
though, since the names form a closed set and all the
characters are within US ASCII.

Regards,

Dave Raggett <dsr@w3.org>

tel +44 122 578 2521 url http://www.w3.org/People/Raggett