Re: New <AREA> syntax proposal (fwd)

MegaZone  writes:

> Once upon a time Dan Miser shaped the electrons to say...
>> Basically, if a user clicks on a certain color, they could be transported
>> to a URL via the HREF element.
>
> Except the UA doesn't normally get involved in the colors used in the
> image.  And such colors aren't declared like simple RGB values under HTML.
> [...]
> I think it would be more effective to focus efforts on making mapping
> programs even more flexible.

A free server-side program already exists to do this sort of thing: the
glorglox advanced image mapper at http://www.net/~tomr/glorglox/.  I believe
it actually uses two images, of which one is displayed to the user and the
other has different colors for each target URL.  They could be the same
image, as in the case of a political map, but the more general case of
arbitrarily-shaped polygons with the same color but differing destinations
can also be handled.

--Jeff

  = J-F Pitot de La Beaujardiere
  = delabeau@iniki.gsfc.nasa.gov