Re: pronounce (was: "ACRONYM"?)

Martin J. Duerst wrote:

> On Mon, 28 Jul 1997, Walter Ian Kaye wrote:
>
> >  >   The <span spellout>BBC</span> tonight reported heavy
> >  >   shelling on the Boznian capital.
> >
> > Looks good to me. As for specifying pronunciation, how about:
> >
> >    The <span speech="ku+po-n">coupon</span> was ten cents off.
> >
> > Phonetics get a bit tricky, and then there are all those regional
> > variations (could get fun, actually! <span speech="teiuksus teeeeii">
> > texas tea</span>).
>
> When we go in that direction, we should take advantage of the fact
> that Unicode/ISO 10646 contain the full IPA alphabet. Not as easy
> to learn, write, or read, but a lot more precise and general.

Here's my personal idealist idea.  Why bother with pronunciation and
massive text-to-speech dictionaries?  There is an option that will
eliminate both of these while raising the general education of surfers.
The language of the web should switch from English to Esperonto.
Imagine the ease-of-use - completely phonetic, no national ties
(especially some nations blaming some other nation for making the web a
place to spread democratic propoganda), and you learn a new language in
the process.  I think it's a good idea.  Too bad none of the browsers
support encoding in Esperonto.

------------GREGORY MARTIN PFEIL------------
Composer & Guitarist   http://p3.net/~pfeil/
pfeilgm@jmu.edu                  UIN: 235067
--------Renaissance Productions Inc.--------
Internet Site Design     GRID (Internet ref)