Re: Profile

On Fri, 25 Jul 1997, Steve Cheng wrote:

> On Fri, 25 Jul 1997, Walter Ian Kaye wrote:

>>> The external profile could provide default values, which are
>>> overriden by the META tags in the document.

>> What sort of file format? Is it just an HTML file with META tags?
>
> It can't be an HTML document, or else it would have to contain
> DOCTYPE, TITLE, etc. I would think it is just META tags, as if
> by plain insertion.

For now profiles are useful as globally unique names for
conventions. The profile allows processing software to recognize
when a particular set of conventions apply.

Work is well underway at W3C on richer means to specify meta
data using XML and/or s-expressions. The format for profiles is
undecided, and there may be more than one.

Regards,

phone: +44 122 578 2521 (office) +44 385 320 444 (gsm mobile)