Re: Entity for apostrophe?

Is there a problem you are trying to solve? If so, what is it?

At 1:25a +0200 07/27/97, Holger Wahlen wrote:
 > Seeing that there are entity definitions for things like en
 > dash, left double quotation marks and the likes coming up,
 > I'm wondering why I can't find anything to represent an
 > apostrophe [1]. Okay, there's "’", but wouldn't it be
 > better to have a name like "&apo;" as well? Imagine this:
 > 	<!ENTITY rsquo   CDATA "&#8217;">
 > 	<!ENTITY apo     CDATA "&#8217;">
 > After all, the same glyph [2] is used in two different
 > functions, so wouldn't it be appropriate to have two
 > possibilities to refer to it? Apart from the mnemonic

Technically, that is not an apostrophe. &#39; is, regardless
of whether it looks "curly" or not. One could easily argue that
using a right single quote as an apostrophe constitutes abuse...

 > advantage, this also wouldn't cause problems for syntax
 > checks that might compare the numbers of occurrences of
 > "&lsquo;" and "&rsquo;" (as long as the entities are used
 > `correctly', that is, of course).

And your use of "`" is correct? To me (and Adobe), that is a
grave accent which you are [mis]using as a left single quote.
That makes me shudder like fingernails on a chalkboard do. Ick.

 > [1] To avoid misunderstandings: &#39; shouldn't be used as an
 >    apostrophe in a typographically decent text, but just as a
 >    symbol for some measures (feet, for instance). I'm talking
 >    about the glyph that should be used instead, which looks like
 >    a right single quotation mark.

That is purely a matter of presentation; HTML is about structure.

 > [2] Actually I'm not quite certain whether it really is the
 >    same: Does Unicode distinguish between `real' apostrophe and

Ack, he did it again... a grave accent diacritic.

 >    r.s.q.m.? I don't know for sure, but I doubt it, because the
 >    expression "apostrophe" is already used to refer to &#39;
 >    ("&apos;") in the files I've checked.

Well, that's what it is -- &#39;.