Re: Some complaints about HTML 4.0

At 6:40p -0400 07/14/97, Liam Quinn wrote:

 > Even with this argument, I wonder how justifiable it is to argue that the
 > non-breaking space is not a space, when it has the word "space" in its
 > name.  If it were called the non-breaking transparent glyph... :)

Hehehe. :)  Well, it's not so much what letters are in its name, but
rather whether it should be considered whitespace. Now, what exactly is
"whitespace"? I think it is bytes which do not convey information in
themselves, and serve only as separators. Non-breaking spaces do infact
convey information, and thus are unsafe to collapse. Yes, multiple
 s are a hack, but this hack is purely in response to this whole
collapsing thing which does not exist in "normal" documents, and also
because <pre> is not an inline element.

 > > > use the BACKGROUND attribute for table cells even though the CSS
 > > > equivalent is better supported.
 > >
 > >Better supported? It's not supported at all in Navigator 3.0, and many
 > >people still use that (because Communicator is a monstrous disk/ram hog).
 >
 > Navigator 3.0 doesn't support the BACKGROUND attribute of table cells.

Yes it does -- it is *table* background that Nav3 does not support.
Table *cell* background is supported.