Re: Some complaints about HTML 4.0

At 4:53 AM -0000 7/13/97, Liam Quinn wrote:
>So would you do away with the HTML 4.0 draft's comment concerning empty
>paragraphs:
>
>| Empty P elements are bad form and should be ignored by the renderer.
>(http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-html40/struct/text.html)
>
>Empty P elements are similar to multiple BR elements in a lot of ways...
No.  Here there is the specific use of elemental tags meant to indicate a
structure, versus the <BR> element which specifically indicates a forced
break.  The paragraph does not indicate any specific rendering style, while
<BR> does.  A <BR> tag is essentially *always* empty and as such can be
repeated.  The HTML documentation is arguing against the use of elements
when the logical structure they are supposed to indicate does not in fact
exist.  Inserting multiple breaks is totally different.

[                    Jordan Reiter                     ]
[            mailto:jreiter@mail.slc.edu               ]
[ "You can't just say, 'I don't want to get involved.' ]
[  The universe got you involved."  --Hal Lipset, P.I. ]