Re: [HTML 4.0 draft] (further) comments on ACRONYM

I prefer a design which does not make the same element do two very
different things. (yes, I don't like "<A NAME" much either). You should
rather have a dedicated element for declaring ACRONYMs. You should also
require them all to be somewhere easy to find. E.g. in the head or
linked to from the head. And if you think it through, you might find
that your acronym-defining and coralling elements could also be extended
to be generalized dictionary/glossaries which would make them more
powerful.

Aymeric Poulain Maubant wrote:
> Bandwidth saving, lisibility of HTML sources, multiples definition
> of a single acronym, correct behaviour for older browsers, definition
> of acronyms shared by many documents are thus possible.

It isn't clear to me what your plan is for sharing acronyms between
documents. Most browsers do not support textual sharing of HTML text. Is
that part of your proposal or do you intend to use a feature from HTML
4.0 or SGML?

 Paul Prescod