Re: HTML 4.0 draft available

On Thu, 10 Jul 1997, Rob wrote:

> Ok, so what about a <FILENAME> or <URL> element? That would be
> *very* useful IMO, since many authors (myself included)  are using
> <TT> or <I> at the moment.

<snip>

> (Yes, StyleSheets are perfect for this, but not everyone uses a
> browser that supports them; looking at my logs I can see plenty of
> people are Using Netscape 2.0 and 3.0 and MSIE 2.0 and even Mosaic
> and Lynx)

To support <FILENAME> new browsers will have to be made.  To support CSS,
nw browers have to be made.  It would be pointless to create a <FILENAME>
element because if browers supported this, then they would also support
<SPAN CLASS=Filename>, which is a better solution.

--
Russell O'Connor            |              roconnor@uwaterloo.ca
        <http://www.undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca/%7Eroconnor/>