Re: Page Inheritance

Andre-John Mas <amas@lhr-sys.DHL.COM> schrieb:
> Frames were great, then the became annoying. You would click on one
> link and a page would appear in one frame and if it has frames then
> sub frames will, appear each time the frames get smaller. What I would
> like to see is an alternative approach to frames and that is page
> inheritance. Basically, you say here's my page and here, here and here
> it will inherit features of pages X,Y and Z. Visually, it would be one
> page, because the system would interpret the final result as if it was
> one page, not three individual pages. This idea is that if you click
> on a link a new page would replace the existing one, instead of
> appearing in a sub-frame.

This is an exact description of how the CSS1 frame proposal
<http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/TR/NOTE-layout> is going to work.

> This approach would mean that I could modify my site menu without
> having to include an individual one on each page or get annoyed at
> the subtlties of frames.

You can do this with server side includes too.

> The tag might appear as follows:
>
>   <INHERIT HREF="http://..../">

I can see no need for adding any further tag, if you can do this with
CSS1. Although CSS1 has to be implemented first, this is also true for
any new html tag.

--
Claus André Färber <http://www.muc.de/~cfaerber/> <faxto:+49-8061-2057>
PGP: ID=1024/527CADCD FP=12 20 49 F3 E1 04 9E 9E 25 56 69 A5 C6 A0 C9 DC