Re: Phrase markup (was Re: Aural Cascading Style Sheets)

Is there not a way to do this with LINK and REL/REV -- that is,
define an external document that contains acronym and/or
abbreviation definitions?  For example:

   <LINK HREF="acronyms_file" REL="acronym">
   <LINK HREF="abbrev_file" REL="abbrev">

A browser could load these file,s and use their content to map
acronyms or abbreviations to full meanings.  It would not
eliminate the need for (or advantages of) semantic attribute
values,  but would perhaps be easier to manage on the authoring
side, in some cases.  Of course, you need a format for
the acronym file -- this could either be a simple HTML
document, using lines like

<acronym for="Cascading Style Sheets">CSS</acronym>

to define global acronyms, or a database-style format, such as:
as:

  <ACRONYM>
     <SHORT>CCS</SHORT>
     <LONG>Cascading Style Sheets</LONG>
  </ACRONYM>

Pretty small DTD, I'd wager ;-)

Ian
--
Ian Graham ........................................ ian.graham@utoronto.ca
Information Commons                                      Tel: 416-978-4548