Re: Encapsulated HTML file

On 31 Dec 1996, Peter Flynn wrote:

>    Since I don't want to go around reinventing the wheel (computer
>    industry favourite), I feel that the best thing is to use what
>    already exists. What already exists is the unix tar file format.
>
> Ah...did you mean "site" or "tree" instead of "document" in Para 1?
> It's a nice idea, but it needs to be a server option, I think.

Yeah, that had me confused as well. The idea of having to download a tree of
documents is really something that can be done now if the provider wishes
it, just tar-gzip it and offer it at the top page, but most of the fun with
creating web sites is dynamic content which obviously cannot be archived in
this way. On the other hand, it *can* be cached if the provider takes care
that a certain URL gives a certain web page with only minor, non-essential
changes (i.e. a counter which nobody would mind seeing a couple of days
off).

--
  Stephanos Piperoglou aka Sneakabout - http://users.hol.gr/~spip/index.html
  All I need in my life is a little love and a lot of money. In that order.

                                               ...oof porothika! (tm)