Re: HTML Streaming

At 7:58 PM -0000 8/25/97, Walter Ian Kaye wrote:
>At 9:26a -0400 08/25/97, Albertfine@aol.com wrote:
> > jptxs@idt.net (jptxs) wrote:
> > >also, speaking practically, the amount of pages with advertising at
>the top
> > >is on the rise and the animated banners don't load very quicky on a
>28.8 or
> > >lower connection.  if the streaming implies that things would display from
> > >the top down (head elements, followed by a sequencial display of
> > >body/frameset elements) a good number of people would be stuck looking at
> > >exactly what they didn't come for waiting for what they did.
> >
> > You've found me out. I work for Double Click :)
>
>I hate banner ads. HATE HATE HATE them. It is EVIL to put them at the
>top of a page. Put them at the bottom, if you have to use them at all.
>As JPTXS said, that's not what people came for, so it does not belong
>at the top of the page.
>
>I refuse to click on banner ads, out of principle. They are like SPAM.
They are not.  For certain sites, they are the only way to pay the bills.
Will banner ads may get in the way, and they certainly aren't what people
were coming looking for, they are not spam, in that unlike SPAM e-mail,
which is sent unsolicited, banner ads appear at the top of the page that
you choose to go to, knowing full well (probably) would have banner ads on
them.

You don't turn on the TV to watch the commercials (most people don't, at
least), but they exist because television is costly.  Websites also are
expensive to run.

Putting banner ads at the bottom of the page makes them less likely to be
seen, less likely to be clicked through, and less likely to attract
advertisers at all.  I don't use banner ads (I don't have a site that big),
but I respect the need of sites to use them.  It's just business, not evil
incarnate.

[                    Jordan Reiter                     ]
[            mailto:jreiter@mail.slc.edu               ]
[ "You can't just say, 'I don't want to get involved.' ]
[  The universe got you involved."  --Hal Lipset, P.I. ]