Re: Attributes for NOFRAMES and NOSCRIPT

On Mon, 25 Aug 1997, Arnoud Galactus Engelfriet wrote:

> "E. Stephen Mack" <estephen@emf.net> wrote:
> > <NOSCRIPT>
> > This is the alternate content for non-script-enabled browsers
> > </NOSCRIPT>
> >
> > ...is legal.  Wouldn't it be desirable to allow the generic
> > attributes (for i18n and %coreattrs at least) to be used
> > for this paragraph?
>
> I would think that if you want that, you would write that as
>
> <NOSCRIPT>
> <P DIR="rtl">
> This is the alternate content for non-script-enabled browsers
> </P>
> </NOSCRIPT>

Of course, you could do that. But the policy was to have i18n
attributes on close to every element (mainly except for those
that are not containers). So you can write
	<EM DIR=RTL>whatever</EM>
and don't have to write
	<EM><SPAN DIR=RTL>whatever</SPAN></EM>
which also doesn't express the fact that the directionality
is indeed closely related to the emphasis. We have DIR on
HTML and BODY, so it most probably should also be on NOSCRIPT.

Regards,	Martin.